Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Overwhelmed!

I want to make it clear that I am NOT complaining here, I am simply pointing out some of the stressers involved with getting ready to go to Ukraine. I don't want to sound like I'm whining, because I know there are many reading this right now that are WAITING to travel to find their children and would LOVE to be leaving on Saturday! But I want to mention what it's like getting ready for such a trip...so maybe you can plan ahead and your last few days of preparation will be full of nice long lazy days with the ones you love! (Ha - dream on! :)

1 - there always seems to be "just one more document" to notarize! We even have one that has to be apostilled, so I'm flying to Austin tomorrow to get that done.
2 - for some reason, it is impossible to go to a store of any kind and not forget at least one item on your list...resulting in a list of random items you need from about 5 different places.
3 - it is VERY difficult to sleep well. My poor husband has just been waking up at 4:50am all week for no apparent reason. Your mind is always racing with stuff that needs to be done. If you mind ISN'T racing, you're wondering what you are fogetting.
4 - Don't underestimate the stress of getting ready for a trip like this (a LONG trip like this) compounded by the uncertainty of the whole Ukraine adoption process. My friend Amy is leaving for China next week for her adoption, and I think - what bliss to JUST get ready for your trip, without all of the unpredictablility of Ukraine adoption. (funny that that is one of the things that drew us to Ukraine in the first place! :)We are trusting in the Lord - it's all we can do!
5 - You will be tempted to just forget everything and just spend time with friends and family. You just can't start preparing too early!

Everyone asks us - "Are you just SO excited?"
The answer is yes, but only when my head is clear of all the clutter long enough to think! I will be most excited when everything is done, the sad goodbyes to the boys have been said, we have made our flight, and actually get to SIT down on the plane! Can't wait! :)

8 comments:

Kathy and Matt said...

Julie,
Your feelings of being overwhelmed are totally normal. I know I felt like my head was going to explode with all the details during those last few days. Especially as you prepare not only for your travel, but also for the boys care at home. (I think I recall that they're staying here). That was the hardest for me. I turned into a blubbering mess the last day or two because I couldn't bear to think about being apart from Sarah. She did great without us (as I knew she would) but it was still hard to leave her for that long.

The stress is enormous but you'll get through it. Rely on God, lean on all you know to be true about Him, seek His will and pray (plus let everyone you know pray for you). We felt such peace and comfort from that support and we knew, no matter what the outcome, God loved us and would provide the best for what our family needed. There were still challenges, but this helped us get through them.

If there are specific prayer requests you have, please don't hesitate to email them or post on your blog. We'll be here sharing your journey.

Blessings to you!!

SG said...

I have not ever adopted overseas but when i went to Kenya the second year My friend and i were taking everything for a youth camp, a girls club and we were going to be gone for three months. No other "adults' went with us. Just two colleege girls and about 200 pounds of luggage (back in the pre-911 days:) I will never forget how incredible it felt to finally get on that plane because there was nothing left that I could do. I never sleep on planes but I think I slept that whole Dallas to London BA flight! And I did not have to deal with the details of leaving kids at home, a month away from a job, or a complicated international adoption to contemplate! I can only imagine the stress (even if it is happy stress) you and Scott are feeling. You know everyone you know is praying for you right now, and it is going to all be OK. Can't wait for you to be able to collapse into that "comfy" (yeah right!) airplane seat knowing you have done all you can for at least a day or more. Still have those big giant sympathy butterflies in my stomach when I think of all that is ahead of you! :) Praying, praying, praying!

Zack, Jenn and William said...

It sounds like you've been preparing very well. At this point, if you forget something (other than your documents!) then you probably either didn't really need it, or you can buy it once in Ukraine.
I know about the sleep deprivation in those last few days, but you'll likely have plenty of down time once in region to rest up!

Aren't you just SO excited? :) Praying for you guys!

Amy Woods said...

Girl! I totally know! I don't, however, know what its like to go with out knowing who your child is yet! Regardless...in a couple of days you will be on the plane and the packing will be over. Hang in there and know that as I'm tossing and turning and not sleeping (I'm right there with you)that I am praying for your journey!

Jenna said...

I am sure that it is incredibly stressful right now. You have the preparing and the realization that your family is about to change forever - exciting and stressful! Good thing that God already knows who your daughter is! I will be praying for you guys. Good luck with the next few days!

BTW, I am a notary and live in Keller so if you have a last minute, late-night notary need then feel free to ask me. You have my email.

Dave said...

Aren't you glad God is going with you? He'll provide for you, as He always has. What an adventure, eh?
Gina

Michelle said...

I feel your pain, sista!!!See you in Ukraine! Call me before you leave Saturday...

adoptedthree said...

You will be fine. It is such an incredible experience I don't think anyone can explain it.

We were told on a Sunday we had to be in Ukraine the next Thursday, which meant we had to leave on Tuesday. less then 48 hours later we were on the plane. We had nothing prepared. Trust me it will be fine!