Friday, July 25, 2008

Lessons Learned

Yesterday morning, I got up at 5:15am to head to Amarillo to pick up Miss Halle Grace. I knew the flights were tight and that there was a big chance we would be spending the day at the airport. I began the day before praying that God would open up a window for us and we would get a flight out quickly. I really felt that he answered me and told me that we would be home by noon. That's what I kept hearing in my head...home by noon. I arrived in Amarillo at 8:45, but Kathy and Kenny weren't there yet with Halle Grace. They had forgotten her glasses and went back to get them. This would put them at the airport just about time for 9:10am return flight. It was full, so chances were slim of getting on that flight anyway. I waited at the gate to see what would happen. They assured me that everyone was there and there was only one empty seat, which of course wouldn't work for us. So I left security and went to meet Kenny, Kathy, and Halle Grace. After chatting for a bit with them and saying good-byes, Halle Grace and I mosied over to the gate. Just as I was getting her bag off the security belt, Scott called me on my cell. "WHERE ARE YOU? THAT FLIGHT HAS SEATS FOR YOU!" By this time, I could see out the window that the plane was still there. We ran to the gate just in time to see it pull away. The gate agent told me that they had a seat open up at the last minute and they had been looking and calling for us. I was just sick. The rest of the flights were oversold. I knew this meant a long day at the airport. If I had just grabbed Halle Grace and ran in the first place, I'm sure we would have made it. It's one of those moments you just think if you try hard enough, you can go back and change it. Ughhhh!!!! I knew we had missed our miracle opportunity.

So...what time did we finally get home yesterday? 7:25 flight. Delayed by 20 minutes. Arrived to our door at 9:20pm. It was a long day.

The message was clear. I thought that God had spoken to me about making a way for us to come home early. When the gate agent told me it was full, I doubted what I had heard and gave up. The word I received from the Lord over and over on the way home last night was this...when I doubt him, the cost is high. This was just one of those days I felt like God wanted to teach me something specific. I failed the test and paid the price. But I learned the lesson, and I will recognize his prompting more clearly next time.

Whew! Enough preaching. Halle Grace was SUCH a trouper at the airport. I was more cranky than she was. She spent the hours playing with her new baby...dressing her, making beds for her out of toys from her bag, and making up songs for her. She also spent some time practicing her gymnastics on the airport chairs. I wanted to put a sign on her that said, "Give her a break. She's been here since 9am". :)

She was so excited about her time with Kathy and Kenny. She told me all about her adventures. We feel so blessed that our kids have this special aunt and uncle that sew so much into their lives. I know this time at their home will be something they will always remember, and it's nice for them to have a few days to be the "only child".

1 comment:

ArtworkByRuth said...

Thanks for the encouraging post on faith! What a reminder to never doubt what God has told you! We're believing to hear soon of approval to travel, despite predicitons of having to wait until December or January!