I was tagged by my friend Michelle. I'm supposed to tell what I was doing 20, 10, 5, and 1 year ago, also yesterday, today, and tomorrow. So...here goes!
20 years ago (1988)
I was a junior in high school. I was most likely listening to lots of DePeche Mode and Erasure. I wish I could remember more specifics about that year...most of the memories that have stuck are of my senior year. My best friend in high school is still one of my best friends today. (Hi Jill!) I was also involved in our church youth group, where I was able to experience several foreign mission trips.
I believe at this time, I was torn between going into advertising as a career, or social work. I know - two opposite extremes!
10 years ago (1998)
(I graduated from college in 1994, and married Scott 6 months later. I worked as a social worker for Child Protective Services for a year, which was NOT my favorite. I went back to school to get my teaching certificate. Scott and I moved to Austin, where he got his MBA from UT and I taught 5th grade)
In 1998, Scott was recruited by American Airlines for a job in revenue management. We were thrilled for so many reasons. This would take us to Dallas/Fort Worth, where we had several friends from college, and it's where I grew up so my family is there...not to mention the flight benefits. We celebrated with a trip to Italy during Spring Break (still our favorite). Scott graduated in May, and we left Austin for Fort Worth. He started work for AA in June. I taught 6th and 7th grade English. We traveled a LOT that year. Some of our best friends worked for AA as well, and none of us had kids yet, so we traveled about a weekend a month. Such a fun time in our lives! We also got pregnant that year with our first child. But she was stillborn in March of
1999. Obviously, 1999 was a huge contrast to the year before.
5 years ago (2003)
We were busy raising our boys. Grant was born in 2000, and Garrett was born in 2002. We took Grant to Disneyworld that year just before his 3rd birthday. We repeated this with Garrett 2 years later (at Disneyland). If you know my husband, you know this trip is hugely motivated by the fact that children are free until their 3rd birthday! HeHe! We had moved into a different house by this time to give us a little more room and better schools. Life was mostly about raising toddlers! This phase of child-rearing is what I refer to as "the trenches". It was great, but I wouldn't necessarily want to repeat it! We were really involved with our church, with was great. God had been good to us, and we felt so blessed.
1 year ago (2007)
We had been praying about a third child and felt that the Lord was leading us to international adoption. We were both just drawn to Ukraine from the beginning of our research. We also liked the way their program was set up - and that we could adopt independently. You can read all the details of how God led us to adopt here.
Our dossier was submitted in Kiev on September 24th of last year. So one year ago, we were sitting on cloud nine! Our facilitator in Ukraine was Natalia Koval and we think she's just the greatest thing since sliced bread (still do!). We finally received our travel date in November and it was for March 12th, 2008. I was knee-deep in decorating a little girl's room...lots of prayer...and lots of planning for the upcoming trip. A very exciting year, but not quite as exciting as the following year!
Yesterday
I took Garrett and Halle Grace to Garrett's soccer pictures, then his game. Scott took Grant to his football game. We met up with them at Grant's game around half-time. Grant's team won, Garrett's did not. But all had a great time! After lunch, we headed home. We had our good friends, the Pope's, over for hamburgers and chocolate milkshakes last night. That was great - we love them! They are the couple I referred to earlier that we used to travel with. Things have changes a lot since then - there are now 7 kids between us!! Obviously, we don't travel much together these days. :) Someday!
Today
We went to church and lunch afterwards with our friends, the Silvias. After that, it was home for our weekly Sunday naps and football-watching. Tonight, we are headed to our family life group, which we love!
Tomorrow
I will be running crazy this week trying to plan Garrett's birthday party, which is on Saturday at our house. I haven't done a THING except the invitations. He wants a basketball party. Any of you bloggers have any grand ideas? I will also go to the grocery store tomorrow and hopefully the gym to continue my training for a 10K this fall! (maybe if I say it out loud like that, I'll actually do it!)
If you're not asleep yet,
I'm tagging the following people...
Stephanie
Amy
Jennifer
Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!
Sunday, September 28, 2008
I've been tagged!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





5 comments:
Wow! That was great. I wonder what the next 10 years will bring? I did not know that you worked for CPS. I did an internship there - NOT a place that I would want to work full-time!
Julie,
Great fun to read a bit about your prior life. Kind of a fun trip down memory lane, so I'm glad I was asked to do it.
Hope all is well with your family!
So fun, I love to hear more about you! Yay for running a 10k... I just did that YESTERDAY!! Woohoo! Good luck with yours!
How wonderfully blessed you are (and me too)...and all in God's perfect timing. Love, MOM
I'm going to do this. Really. I added it to my list. It's right there at #58! OK. So it may be a few days. I might even add pictures...
Have fun with your hoops party!
Post a Comment