10 years ago...March 30th, 1999.
I was teaching 6th grade Language Arts at that time, and this day was our 6th grade field trip to the Fort Worth museum. I was 22 weeks pregnant with our first child, and was on top of the world. I was having a baby girl and had just ordered the fabric for the nursery.
But today,there was a little cloud hovering over my "top of the world" feeling that day, though. I hadn't felt the baby move much and I was starting to get a little nervous. I remember eating chocolate and drinking a coke just before visiting the planetarium - surely that would do the trick.
It didn't.
As soon as I got home from work, I called my OBGyn. I thought for sure she would tell me not to worry, it would be fine.
She didn't.
She asked me to come up to the hospital since she was there anyway.
I waited for Scott to get home from work so we could go to the hospital together. I remember getting more and more scared - just standing outside in our front yard waiting for him. I just stood there, begging God to let our baby be ok. Once we arrived, we were taken into an exam room, where a couple of different nurses tried to find our baby's heartbeat.
They couldn't find it.
"She's just turned funny" - I remember thinking. Get me on a sonogram machine and we'll see that she is fine.
They did.
And she wasn't fine.
The room spun. I felt like I was dreaming - only none of the dreams I had about my baby were anything like this. This was a nightmare that I wanted desperately to wake up from.
I remember Scott laying his head on my pregnant belly, crying.
I remember my parents were there by this time. My mom was crying and my dad was quiet. I remember utter disbelief and shock.
All of the sudden, I was hearing words like "induce labor, potosin, epidural...".
Right now? This could not be happening.
Not to me.
Not to our baby.
We had a plan, and this was NOT it.
We had a crib...and a name.
All of my friends were pregnant at the same time - we were all going to be new moms together. This was not our plan at all.
One of my next memories is waking up in the night with the worst pain I have ever felt. I was only 22 weeks - why did it hurt so badly? Apparently, your body doesn't alter the pain of contractions according to how far along you are! I finally BEGGED for my epidural. And I got it, but I was in so much pain and was so restless, that it took them several tries to get it in. I was so high on Demerol, grief, and pain, that I refused to let anyone check me to see how far along things were progressing. The next thing I knew, I was wide awake and feeling like I needed to push. The nurse came in...
Our baby girl popped right out with a contraction (no pushing needed. Thank you Jesus!).
Although she was tiny, and her skin was thin and taut, she was perfectly formed.
She had eyelashes and fingernails! They wrapped her up and laid her in my arms.
It was the one time I would hold her this side of Heaven. I was keenly aware of this reality. Yet, through the shock and the pain, I remember being completely in awe of the miracle that had been growing inside me. What an intensely divine moment it is to see God's handiwork - the knitting together of a child.
She weighed 12.5 ounces, and she was 11 inches long. We named her Madeline Kate. I will never forget her sweet, peaceful face and the feel of her tiny body in my arms. Her feet were about the size of my thumbprint.
We were whiplashed back to reality as we were asked all kinds of questions about burials, cremation, hospital research, pictures,..... We just couldn't think about any of that. I didn't want to bury my baby in the ground. I wanted to take her home like new moms are supposed to. This wasn't how things are supposed to happen.
I knew, and so did Scott, that that tiny body was not our daughter. Our daughter had already received her new and perfectly healthy body in Heaven. An earthly burial sounded too painful at the time. We opted for the hospital research route. It was the best we could do at the time - anything more just wasn't in us.
The stream of visitors was constant. My parent's friends were the most comforting - people that had lived long enough to endure loss and knew how to act around us were the ones I looked forward to seeing. I love my friends dearly, but their pregnant bellies were more than I could take. For quite awhile, actually.
The next clear memory was my release from the hospital. I was wheeled out of my room, down the maternity hall, past the nursery. I could hear babies crying in the other rooms. I remember a physical ache in my empty arms. I remember waiting for Scott to bring up the car, sitting there with tears flowing silently down my face.
I felt like I could actually feel my heart breaking in two, and I wondered if life would ever be the same. I knew I would never forget that moment for as long as I lived.
When I arrived home, our church life group had been there cooking and cleaning for us. My house was sparkling clean, the fridge was full of food, and the table was full of gifts. It was like coming home to a big hug from God himself...a kindness we will never forget.
The few months that followed are a blur. Lots of sleepless nights. Lots of tears.
One by one, my friends all had their babies. All healthy and perfect. I remember visiting our best friends about a month later. They had a new baby and it was the longest we had been around a baby since we lost Madeline. I couldn't take it anymore when their baby would cry, and I would feel my milk let down. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I didn't feel like I fit anywhere. I had given birth, I was a mom, yet I had no baby.
Would this ever end? Would I ever feel normal?
Slowly, but surely, I began to crawl out of my hole. The Lord started speaking to me through others and his word like I had never experienced. Little, by little, I could feel my heart getting stronger. I felt the presence of the Lord in a way I never knew possible.
A few months later, we got pregnant again. We were thrilled, but very cautious. Grant was born in 2000, full term and healthy! Garrett followed in 2002, not full-term, but still healthy. We were thrilled with our boys and felt so incredibly blessed.
But God wasn't finished. He had a plan to bring good out of the loss of our daughter.
Last year, in my ladies life group, I was put in a small group for prayer time. I didn't know either of the ladies in my group, and they didn't know about our adoption plans. After praying, one of them looked at me and said, "I heard the Lord say that he wants to redeem the month of March for your family and that it will no longer be a time of sorrow, but a time of great joy."
And it was true! Last year, in March, that is exactly what God did for us when we met Halle Grace. God revealed his plan - to bring joy and beauty from our past sorrow and ashes. He used that season of loss to prepare us to be Halle Grace's parents. He took a family who had lost a daughter, and a little girl who had lost her parents, and brought them together from across the world.
His plans are so much better than anything we could come up with on our own.
This is a fallen world, and tragedy happens all the time. But God loves to restore hope, heal wounds, and bring victory no matter how great the loss.
In my prayer time this morning, I thanked the Lord for what he has done in our family. I told him that from now on, March 30th is a day of joy and victory in our family. It feels good to be able to look back on this day, and not feel pain. I'll always miss our daughter, but instead of looking back on the sadness and loss, I look at it as the beginning of an incredible journey on which the Lord led every step.
That day made our family what it is today.
To God be the glory!
Monday, March 30, 2009
10 Years
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





15 comments:
Dear Julie,
I am so very sorry for your loss, but so thankful and inspired about how God turned your great loss into something wonderful. That was a beautiful post that put tears in my eyes and also gave me chills. Praise God for Madeline Kate and for Halle Grace.
Thank you so much for sharing this Julie. God does work all things for good, and I praise Him for that. I am confident that there are so many others that are somewhere along this path and could really benefit from your words - would it be alright if I linked to this post? Let me know.
Jenn
What a beautiful post and tribute to Madeline Kate, to Halle Grace, and to God. Blessings to you and your family!
Traci
Reading this post brought tears to my eyes. What a hugely difficult thing to endure. I know that your precious daughter is waiting for you in heaven. And I must say - I think that Halle Grace is one of THE MOST gorgeous girls I've EVER seen!!!
Julie,
Thank you for sharing your story. I lost two children through miscarriage, but I was not as far along in my pregnancy. It was still devastating, so I can only imagine the pain you went through.
As I look back, I realize my experience was finally the thing that got me to completely put 100% of my trust in God and turn it all over to him. I praise him for helping me grow in that way and that level of trust was a major factor in helping me cope while going through the adoption process.
Praise God for how he's worked in you, your family and others you've touched. Thank you for sharing.
I guess you really have to have walked in the valley to see how tall the mountains truly are. The story of your family is very inspiring and full of hope. Thank you for sharing all the ups and downs on your blogs. I am so happy that because of little Madeline, a girl from around the world was able to find her parents.
I pray that continues to bless your family in ways far more wonderful than you can imagine.
Hugs and smiles from NC,
Krista
Love you, honey, MOM
I love you so so much...thats really all I can say. : )
This story of love and loss has been permanently written deep in our hearts. Love you guys
Dad
God has given you quite a testimony. Thanks for always sharing! :)
We have discussed this before. I lost my twins at 22 weeks to. I never thought I would make it through to the next day. I wondered how could this be happening to us after all we did just to get pregnant. I felt so alone. Today I see the path we were supposed to take and the blessings we have been given. I know our sweet Chloe and Chase are in heaven just waiting for us to reunite.
My babies would have been 11 this August. This year I think I will share their pictures with my kids.
I am so sorry for your loss...
Thank you so much for sharing your story. While I have never been pregnant..and can't fully understand your loss...I have experienced the loss of the child you dreamed of and the emotional pain that comes with it.
What a blessing that God has healed some of the hurt and blessed you with the precious gift of Halle Grace! :)
What an amazing testimony of God's redeeming power. Thank you for sharing!
Julie,
You and I share the loss of our first child on the same date....March 30th. We lost our son on March 30, 1995....he was born at 36.5 weeks with Trisomy 13. It was the most devastating time in our lives. He would have turned 14 last week....my heart still has that empty place that will never be complete until we are together again in Heaven. God blessed us with another son, then we suffered a miscarriage, and then were blessed with a daughter. We have not shared pictures of our baby boy with anyone yet.....soon, but not yet.
Bless you for sharing your story and your faith with others.
Stacey (friend of the Silvia's)
Thank you for sharing such a personal story. Beauty for ashes indeed. I wihs I could find more words. Your faith has and will inspire others.
Post a Comment