It occurred to me that I only have a few days left where my age "rounds down" to 30. On Tuesday, I will round up to 40, which I find completely surreal. Only a teacher would think of numbers in relation to how they round, right? Why is it that 35 seems so much closer to 40 than 25 did to 30? My guess is that life just speeds up more with each decade. Why is that? Is it because life is busier? My 20's seemed busy to me, just with different things. It's just a mystery. I do know that everyone older than me says the years just come faster and faster the older you get. I took the boys to visit my grandmother in California this week. She is 81 and still leads a very active and healthy life. I asked her if she ever thought she'd be 81. She said, "Oh no...no one ever imagines it, but one day it happens!" For the first time, listening to her go on about senior benefits and AARP, I actually thought - that really is going to be me someday (Lord willing). It was a strange thought...for the first time, looking at my grandmother as more than just my grandmother, but someone who is just a little farther down this road that I, too, am traveling.
Whew - nothing like a late night and a looming birthday to get me all contemplative.
On a lighter note, tomorrow (not really tomorrow anymore) I plan to spend the afternoon celebrating my birthday with my life-long friends. This year, being the year we will adopt a girl, I'm celebrating my birthday in every girly way possible - pedicure, lunch at the tearoom, and shopping. Birthdays always calls for parties - the more the better (no matter what you "round up" to). It's the day (or week perhaps) set aside to celebrate the life God gives us. Let the birthday week begin! And for now, I will continue to celebrate my last days of "rounding down" to 30 (that's worth a party all to itself).
Saturday, August 4, 2007
Rounding up
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
Happy Birthday, Julie-My "big sister"!!!!!!
I saw Renee last Sunday!
Post a Comment