(Sorry the video's a little dark. It's dark and stormy here today!)Here's just a little sampling of how far Miss Halle Grace has come in her English. We have been home about 6 weeks now and she is speaking tons of phrases and many full sentences as well. She can almost always get her point across to us now, which is a huge difference. She has started taking words that she knows and forming her own sentences with them (rather than just memorizing the sentences we teach her). We are so proud of her!
She goes to Bible class at church by herself now (although she cries when we first take her, she gets over it quickly)...she's had her first sleepover (at my parents')...she learned to ride a bike (with training wheels)...she is well-bonded with her family...she loves to pray...she loves our food (finally!)...she loves dressing pretty...she has made several new friends...she has gained 2 pounds...she loves music, books, flip-flops, sweets, hair bows, cooking, and swimming...and she's made us all fall head-over-heels for her!
It's really hard to believe she hasn't always been with us. This morning, she was looking at some pictures from the past year, and kept asking where she was in the picture. I told her she was still in Mariupol. She kept saying "no". She doesn't grasp that we had a life and a family here before she came. It's getting harder and harder for me to grasp that, too!
Yesterday we went to see Prince Caspian with some friends. We loved it! Especially Grant - it was right up his ally. It was a little over Garrett's head and he got a little restless. Halle Grace did great. I'm sure this particular movie wasn't really her thing, but it was her first time at the movies and the experience itself was enough to entertain her. It was definitely more of a war movie than the first Narnia, but I really liked it.
We were supposed to go to the water park today for the first time, but it cooled down and started storming. Poor kids - they have been counting down the days! I think we'll head to the library instead.
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Home about 6 weeks now
Labels: Adoption
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





16 comments:
OK...where am I missing the link for the video??
K
I too am having difficulty finding it. Although I love the slideshow of Mariupol -- someone in your family has wonderful photography skills.
OM she is getting soooo big. such a big girl! I miss you guys! Love ya..
I know, I know...
the video has been loading for 3 hours! Yikes! I need to learn how to shrink the size before loading (like I do with pics). Surely it's almost done! :)
Halle Grace sounds like she's doing incredibly well as she's adjusted to life in America. Isn't it amazing how quickly their English picks up once they get a few words figured out?
She's adorable!
Leeza always asks to see her pictures, so I try to show her the latest every so often.
Well isn't that amazing! She's doing so well, and looks so good. Hope to get to see you guys soon!
Yeah, who is that photographer in your family?
Halle has the sweetest most adorable voice I've ever heard. This clip is the cutest ever. Thanks for sharing. Love you. :)
She is so adorable! She obviously understood everything you said to her. Kids are amazing, aren't they?
Ok, where is her accent? She sounds like a regular American 5 year old! Tetyana's accent is very thick. I am amazed at how quickly they pick it up. Not only that, but I am amazed at how much Ukrainian Luke knows and speaks to Tetyana! Kids are amazing!
Wow! It is so great see how great you all are bonding and how well her English copmprehension is coming along. Halle Grace is precious - thanks for letting us follow along on your blog! Oh, and thanks for the advice about the marraige license - I finally got the right one today - we should be sending our dossier to Natalia very soon!
Stephanee Potts (in New Braunfels)
Her english is pretty amamzing for just 6 weeks home. She is just beauitful.
Julie!! It was so fun to see you at Target this week and get to meet your precious Halle! She is just beautiful! I am so excited for your family! I hope we will see you again soon. I would love for Halle and Lauren to become friends someday. :)
Wow! She has come a long way! All 3 of your kids are so stinkin' cute!
Thank you so much for posting this - it's the most darling thing to actually HEAR her! It makes me feel that much closer to our Mary, who I still imagine about this age, but God knows... we'll see!! )
Yes, they lose their language all too quickly! She SOOO fits your family! Isn't God amazing?
Wow, she is amazing! Really, I can't believe how good her English is!!! I am jealous!!!!!! Sophiya is just a year (& a half?) younger than Halle Grace, but there is a huge difference. Sophiya talks a LOT, but most of it is just parroting us. She is definitely learning, but it is much slower than it looks like it has been for you guys. What a sweet blessing for you! I hope we won't be too far behind. :) Oh, and your video inspired me to do the same with Sophiya. Check out my blog soon for our video. You'll see...
Post a Comment