I am announcing the first ever "Comment Awards"...(or the Commies).
Comment away!
Winners will receive a special virtual-trophy (a "Commie"), and the grand prize winner (1 only) will receive a small Ukrainian nesting doll set - brought all the way from Ukraine in my suitcase! :) Good luck and let the games begin!
Here are the categories:
- best idea of things to with Halle during our visits
- best "Hang-in-there, you-can-make-it" comment
- best frivolous news from home that I might be missing
- most inspiring poem (there is already one nomination in this category - see the Whatley's poem in the last post's comments :)
- wild-card category (in case there is one I love that doesn't fit within the above categories... :)
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
ThE CoMmEnT AwArDs
Labels: Adoption
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





13 comments:
Well, I can tell you what me and carrigan did this morning when we were spending time together. She wanted us to do a duet of the spice Girls "So tell me what you want what you really really want" then I say I'll tell you what I want what I really really want. and then we sing the rest together. She could do that for an hour. She also has specific dance moves for me and her to do.Oh Julie....get ready..
Have you done a pedicure with her yet? ( not salon of course, but get lotion and powder and rub it on her feet then paint nails?
Rebecca
I think they prefer to be called "Communists". - Scott
Ideas to do for play time:
1. Tea time, or in veeka's case weed time.
2. Tickle fight (refer to the movie Elf)
3. Make a memory game of "American things" with cards...do you have double prints of pictures?
4. Paper chain the alphabet
5. Toilet paper cardboard tube kazoos, and then it's a parade! You can make a drum out of a coffee can!
6. Karaoke party, she needs to teach you some songs in her language
7. Scavenger hunt....oooo...that'd be fun!
8. Puppet show, can't you make finger puppets easily? Or paper bag puppets?
9. Get to the playground early and bury stuff, mark it where you can see it, and go hunting...she likes to dig, right?
10. Get some m&m's candies and get her to put it in alphabetical order...sorry...that's a blonde joke somebody did to me yesterday!
:((
11. Make playdo...if you need the recipe its:
4 cups flour, 2 cups salt, 4 cups water, food coloring, 2 tablespoons plus one teaspoon cream of tartar, 2 tablespoons cooking oil.
12. macaroni necklaces, color them for flavor!
13. Any Cardboard box can be a castle
Hey...I got loads more, I have a girl...mine loved the box the best and any tree to climb...don't fall.
Laters,
The Whatley's
There is no way I could top Elizabeth, so I am not even going to try. I did use you as an example today though. Jonathan made a comment about a new kid at school who "wears the same jacket everyday, even when it is warm." I told him about Halle Grace wearing a big coat and "needing" a hat in 60 degree weather. I tried to explain that people have different views on things.
OH! I just thought of something - you can starting teaching her "The Stars at Night, are Big and Bright..." and maybe "God Bless America."
You've got lots of great ideas so far, but here are a few more that helped us get through those last days:
- bring in a bag of skittles or m&ms and practice counting and/or colors or lining them up to make letters of the alphabet
- bring beads and string (ideally stretchy) and make bracelets and necklaces
- bubbles and balloons were huge hits with Leeza
- draw mazes and have her trace a line from the beginning to an end point
- have her trace your hands and then trace her own hands
- interactive singing - Hokey Pokey (Leeza loved seeing us do this), If You're Happy and you Know it, Twinkle Twinkle - you'll love hearing Tvinkle Tvinkle, etc
- if you can find it, take some colored chalk and use it to draw outside on the drive ways (if they'll let you)
Hang in there idea -
Katie told me that she and her mom had a great massage somewhere in Mariupol while we were there. Maybe she can take you there between visits to Solnichka.
I think Elizabeth is trying to win all the prizes! :)
I feel your pain girlfriend!!! I wish I could pass our bags of tricks over to you. Tetyana is so damn bored. Have you brought in your laptop and found some Ukrainian DVD's or even some American one's? What about your Ipod? Tetyana loves American music and anything electronic. Did you bring a calculator?
Thanks for giving me something to read! LOL
- We took our laptop to the internot every couple of days. (We'd brought along Pink Panther DVDs and he loved them, because there isn't much language to deal with.) I wish I'd found a couple of Russian cartoon dvds before we brought him home. They would have been nice to have those first few weeks home! Maybe Katie could help you find one or two.
- Legos - if they aren't available at the internot, you can pick up the knock-off "Brick" brand at the grocery stores and markets for practically nothing.
- Digital pictures - we would (and still do) make silly faces for the camera, then look at the pics
- William LOVED Kinder Eggs with the toy inside (and of course he liked the chocolate too!). We could find those at any grocery or market.
- We looked at pictures on the laptop A LOT. (before going, I made sure I had a lot of pics on there of family, home, friends, etc). This also gave us an opportunity to practice English words
- Counting in Russian and English. We would count anything and everything. He'd count it in Russian, I'd do the same in English, and he quickly started picking up the numbers himself.
- We traced each others hands a lot. It's nice to have them with us at home, too!
- We used up almost an entire notebook scribbling, tracing hands, writing letters, etc.
- We kicked a little ball back & forth about a million times, but every time he'd laugh and smile
Do you accept bribes????? I have been coveting one of those little doll sets.
:0)
Hey...I don't know if you can get YouTube over there - but there is the best video of Haley..she won this major award, so go take a look she had to make a video -
here's the link..don't know if it'll work, if not just search Haley Whatley....hey...Halle Veeka - she can be a bunny ambassador next year - "Welcome to America, home of community service!"
She is speaking tonight to the Prudential group at a dinner for all the local winners, at the Meyerson starting at 5 p.m.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUZlOqTqE0k
I don't know how to not post this just to Julie and not bore everyone, so sorry folks!
News from home...
New Kids on the Block have reunited!!! I know you've been waiting fort his day!
...............
Just send my award now!
Frivolous news items from Scott -
1. There is a man who is pregnant and he was on Oprah.
2. Oprah cried yesterday because her dog died.
3. The Clinton's made over $109 Million in the last 7 years
4. Obama bowled a 37 (you may even be able to beat that!)
5. Gas is $3.21 now.
6. Central market had the Grilled Chicken Herb Panini on special today - Joy said it was great.
7. Zoey gave me five, on the side, and in the hole.
8. Joy is pregnant (ok, just kidding).
9. Your dad is supposedly building the tree house.
10. Naomi Campbell was arrested at Heathrow again for spitting on a policeman.
11. Jamie Lynn Spears may be engaged.
12. Jessica Simpson was hospitalized (can't remember why), but is doing fine now. Romo had prior engagments, so he was not at the hospital.
13. Grant guessed the amount of candy in the jar at school and won the whole thing. It was 86.
Okay, I am sooooooo(deep breath)ooooooooooo behind on following your blog!!! I'm sorry!! I totally missed your whole comment awards and everyghing! Life has been sooooo(hehe)ooooo crazy here! You will find out soon enough how fun it is throwing a third grown child into the mix. Really, it's fun. And crazy busy. I just caught up on your last weeks in Ukraine and it really makes me a little homesick (if that's the right word) for being back there. Ukraine is amazing! But... you are also right, there is no place like home. Maybe someday we can go back there together and do some orphanage service work?! I am dying to go back again!! But this time for fun! ;) You new little daughter is just so adorable & we are thrilled for your family. We love you & hopefully you won't read this until you are HOME!!!! Yeeeeaaaah!!!!!
Post a Comment