Sunday, April 27, 2008

Overdue Post

Wow! I don't think I've gone this long without posting in weeks (or months!) By the way, this picture has nothing to do with this post...I'm just indulging my ability to show off our little girl! Thanks again, Amy, my fave photographer. Love you!
Life is a little less dramatic these days now that we're home and settled (except, of course, for the new little drama queen in the house!). The honeymoon is over, and we are seeing some "opinions" from Miss Halle Grace. She can turn the tears off and on like a faucet. It's pretty impressivs. At first, we were really sensitive with her about it...thinking she was just overwhelmed, etc. Now, the tears are over things like cleaning up her toys, putting her shoes on, how I fix her hair, or taking a Sunday rest (i.e. today). I think this is good, because she is really just being a normal 5-year-old little girl. We have seen no signs of trauma or real stress, and we are all attaching beautifully. We feel so blessed! She is such a joy and a very happy little girl (minus the pre-mentioned exceptions)

We had a great "girly" weekend. Friday night, we ate at Pei Wei with Kalee. I love that place! Halle Grace loved the edanamme and the fortune cookies. We rented Enchanted, which she LOVED, and painted her fingernails. That movie is so cute! Saturday, Halle and I made strawberry pancakes at home and went swimming at my parents house. It was a little chilly, but she didn't seem to mind! Last night, we went to dinner and church with Valerie and Kallie (their other-halves were on the camping trip, too). Have I mentioned how much I love our church? It is incredible. Scott and the the boys ended up coming home late last night because storms were headed their way. They had a great time camping, hiking, and fishing. It's just a little boys' dream weekend!

I spent a big chunk of my morning working on my blog. I'm still working out some kinks (like how to get the white background off of my photoshop creations). :)
Like it?

Halle's Grace's English progress...
I want to remember how much she has learned at the 2 week mark, so this list is really more for posterity. She seems to understand at least half or more of what we say. The following are words/phrases she currently uses:
phrases
bye-bye
may I please
you're welcome
good girl
thank you
no thank you
counting (to 10)
all done
how are you
I love you
bless you
no, Daisy (our dog's name) :)

words
various body parts: eyes, nose, mouth, hair, hands, feet, fingers
various foods: apple, banana, pear, grapes, strawberry, salad, tomato, chicken, potato, chips, cake, pancakes, cookies, snack, popcorn, yogurt, hot dog, cherry, pineapple, juice, water, Sprite, jelly, chocolate, milk
brothers
airplane
bed
toys
home
car
animals: dog, cat, giraffe, elephant, zebra, monkey, bird
computer
kitchen
blanket
clothing: pajamas, dress, shoes, socks
smile
baby
boy
girl
chair
school
church
trash
ouch
drink
eat
flowers
good
God
amen
pink
pretty
family names(extended family, too)

6 comments:

These are the days... said...

Try this... In Photoshop, use the magic eraser tool to make the white background turn checked. Then save the graphic as a .GIF file. Hopefully that will work for you. ~Nikki

Kathy and Matt said...

She is doing beautifully! It seems like she's picking up English very quickly. I guess at that age, it's true that they are like sponges.

Leeza has amazed us at how well she understands and communicates using English. She even corrects Sarah if Sarah uses a Russian word when Leeza knows the English word.

I can totally relate to your experience of the "instant" tears. We have also gone through that and still do occassionally, but it will get better fast, especially when they see it doesn't get the result they hoped.

I'm so glad you're all doing so well!

Unknown said...

I'm sure you've heard this a lot but just in case not, my bioligal 5 year old girl has been doing the exact same thing, meaning the crying meltdowns. Actually year 4 and 5 have been FULL of this (and despite what some think she's never been spoiled, the crying has never "worked" - she just didn't seem to know any other way to respond). Calm, unaffected reactions from us help curb these times...removing her to a calming spot, as well as extra lovin' when needed (when she's NOT acting that way). Tons and tons of praise when she handles herself well rather than melting down has really helped her too. She is going to be 6 in a couple months and for the MOST PART she's gotten a good handle on her girly emotions. Hang in there! :) After mothering 2 boys I thought this whole phase would be the death of me but He taught me to abide, abide, abide... and to see her as He sees me.

junglemama said...

Halle is doing so well!

Anonymous said...

Yea, but can she say "Yall" and "yonder"? She is a Texan you know.
Ruthie

Michelle said...

Oh, I am so glad to hear Halle is crying at the drop of a hat too! Ok, not really but it makes me feel better about Tetyana! This is new to me as a parent of a boy. We are doing our best to ignore it!

Please email me your phone number!